Monday, September 15, 2008

The Aftermath of Ike

As many of you know by now, Hurricane Ike has pummeled Southeast Texas with a powerful punch, and much of the Greater Houston region has been without power for quite some time. The entire area from Galveston Island and all points north and west have been devastated by the storm, and such landmark institutions as the Balinese Room on Galveston Island have been wiped off the map, while others such as the Kemah Boardwalk, Reliant Stadium and the JPMorgan Chase Tower downtown have sustained significant damage. In Sugar Land, my own neighborhood in particular has been without power since midnight early Saturday morning. Because of the ongoing circumstances here, I have been out of town at a location I am not going to specify for security reasons, and this blog has been on hiatus as I await word on the situation back home.

Given the hard nature of the recovery efforts, I will most likely do an update from where I am at now. The Nifty Fifty (which has gone through 27 states plus two bonus pages and constitutes a significant amount of this blog) is on a time bomb, with the November elections fast approaching. It is very likely that while I am in exile (and it could be two weeks before power is restored), I will post a segment or two at least of the Nifty Fifty.

In the meantime, I am encouraging you to donate to the American Red Cross. Your donations and support will not only be beneficial to everyone affected by this storm, but will be greatly appreciated!

0 comments: