Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Labor Day: The Forgotten Holiday (at least in my own book)

Today was Labor Day, a day that we all enjoy, and sometimes not enjoy, savoring in any way. At least, that is what I'm thinking. But why?

Well, boys and girls, or "little darlings" like my old english teacher in high school used to say, while Labor Day is celebrated at our national institutions and even many universities and colleges give students a day off, it is rather strange that Blinn College had classes on Labor Day.

How do I know? Today, I went to class - as usual - at Blinn. Mondays for me consists of an hour and a quarter of Philosophy with Mr. Allbritton, nearly two and a half hours break time, and a three-hour course on Accounting with Mrs. Kana. That's about as good as it gets there.

So how did I take in Labor Day? By screwing around on a philosophy quiz and dealing with numbers in accounting, that's what!

But I had a good relief: accounting ended early today at 2:45 p.m. So I spent the rest of the day watching the Jerry Lewis MDA Telethon on KPRC (Channel 2/NBC) take in $61 million, complete with Lewis' famous closing song of the telethon. Then I watched the last few minutes of what will be, for now, the last PGA golfing event on ABC (KTRK Channel 13 in Houston); the PGA package is going to The Golf Channel next year. And I had a split-second to look at highlights from the U.S. Open on KHOU (Channel 11/CBS).

And to sum it all up, I turn to Live at Five on Channel 13...immigration protest in downtown Houston...possible tropical trouble way way out in the Atlantic...and the death of the Crocodile Hunter.

And so, that's how Labor Day goes. And I still have to get ready for tomorrow, so it's off to my darn math analysis and American literature mumbo jumbo.

Ciao, y'all! (till' next time). Oh, and Crocs Rule! (R.I.P. Steve Irwin, whom today's blog is dedicated to.)

Kyle Stanley's Perspectives on Life (and whatever else may come)

0 comments: